Thursday 7 February 2008

Chennai: Through a Child's Eyes

I am six years old and I live in a village about two hours away from Vellore, India. Last night when I went to sleep, my mother told me that the day had finally arrived when we would go on a long trip to get a very special gift.

She woke me early so that we could walk to my school where the bus was waiting. Many of my friends and their mothers and my teacher were there too. The ride was fun and we saw lots of trucks, and motorcycles, and bicycles, and animals. The bus took us to a big building called a marriage hall and there were lots and lots of people all around.

A nice lady gave us a biscuit and a drink and we got to put on a new shirt and pants. They were really nice! But then they told my mother that she had to go away to another place. I didn’t like that! There were too many people and it was very noisy. We had to sit in a big hall, with lots and lots of other girls and boys. It was cool in there.

Some strange people came to tell us about a thing called SCAW and what we were going to do. I wished my mother was there!

Then we had to go to a big table where some ladies put a yellow piece of paper in our pockets and helped us line up. I was still with my friends! Then the ladies with funny white skin came to take us across the courtyard. They were smiling and saying “Come, Come” - but I was scared. Then I looked up and saw my mother standing at the gate. I was so glad to see her. I ran to her as fast as I could, but everyone was calling “No, No, No” and then I felt someone quickly pick me up and carry me back to have my picture taken.

Then someone took the yellow paper out of my pocket and then he took me over to a really, really, tall man, who said, “This is for you. It is a gift from SCAW!” It was so big my arms would not go around it and someone had to help me carry it over to my mother who was still waiting by the gate.

All of our ‘gifts’ were tied to the top of the bus and we started for home. I am glad to be back with my mother. I am tired. My mother is very happy now, but I think that I see tears in her eyes.

Leslie Field
for the SCAW 2008 Chennai Team


Leave a comment here.