Friday 16 July 2010

Zimbabwe: Thursday, the first day in Harare

Mangwananee!! (Hello in the language of Shona - forgive the spelling!)

Our first full day in Zim has been a busy one. As a newcomer to the SCAW family, I am in awe of the careful, methodical work and extensive amount of time that has been put into the organization of this project. I know I am in good hands and with a competent team.

We unpacked and arranged a sample bedkit (as shown in the photo), performed the errands that go with last minute snags, and met with our Rotarian friends. For Sidney (the other newbie) and I, it has been an important dress rehearsal to be able to experience the time needed to make sure we are all ready for the big day.

We are all one team now: the Rotarians and SCAW volunteers!!

For me, this has been a two-year dream to volunteer with SCAW: my Christmas present is about to be opened tomorrow!! I have goose bumps in anticipation of the day ahead. We will be saying "Taysaka!" ("Smile!") many times on Friday! I’m sure I will hardly be able to sleep tonight!!

Mazweeta. (Thank you.)

Ciao,
Helen Scott
for Team Zimbabwe 2010


Post your comments here.