Saturday 8 June 2013

Uganda: Mission Accomplished!

As we rode our bus to our final distribution we were all amazed at how quickly the time had gone by. It was not that long ago that the team met at the Toronto airport, eagerly anticipating our adventure together and not quite sure what lay ahead.  Upon arriving in Kampala and meeting the ladies of the Innerwheel we soon became a strong team, working together for the benefit of 6000 children in Uganda. Through each distribution and each passing day the team became closer and friendships grew with our Overseas Volunteer Partners, the Innerwheel of Kampala.  

Each of the Canadian team has a closing thought as our time in Uganda draws to a close.

"The adventure exceeded my expectations.  The Innerwheel became best friends and the team became family. "  -  Joan Hatcher

"It was an awesome first trip to Africa. I never imagined the Innerwheel did so much work behind the scenes."  Shiela Toner

"I truly feel we have brought some hope and enjoyment to many families in Uganda"  John MacDonald
"Each of the seven distributions I have been privileged to be part of in Uganda have left me feeling closer to the wonderful women of the Innerwheel of Kampala and the children of Uganda." Leslie Banner

"At each distribution site I was very moved by the greetings we received from the children.  It was very special at a couple of the sites to hear the children sing their national anthem and to sing our own national anthem in response."  Patrick Toner

"Yesterday I was reading that the people of Uganda are considered to be the friendliest in Africa.  Along with being the Pearl of Africa I have discovered that this is true.  Uganda is indeed a country that is rich in one resource in particular - their people.  Their welcoming smiles, determination and resilience are testimony to this.  I feel privileged to have met so many Ugandans and my life is richer because of this." Beth Poad

"I am very sad to see my time in Uganda come to a close. I have met some amazing people, the ladies of the Innerwheel, the staff at our special Guest house where we spent the majority of our nights, our bus driver, the volunteers at each of the distribution sites and the wonderful parents, grandparents and children who welcomed us with smiles, waves, songs and cheers at each of our twelve distribution sites.  I hope that the 6000 children who received bedkits are having a good night's sleep!!!!  "  - Jan Gayman

I will close this blog with a couple of pictures of our last three children we photographed today.

The last three from Uganda 2013

Team Hug from Uganda 2013

Mission Accomplished from Uganda 2013

It's a wrap.
Team Uganda 2013 
Post your comments here: