Sunday 17 January 2016

Pune: Amboli

Words cannot describe my experience since arriving!  My first distribution, first trip to India and first time travelling without someone I knew. 


Our day four was a two hour drive to Amboli where we would distribute just over 900 bed kits.  As we travelled through amazing terrain we arrived at a first rest stop, a school with smiling, singing children anxious to meet us.  I am truly amazed how children with so little could be so very happy. 



We continue on to our distribution site.  We are treated like royalty when we arrive; drums playing, children dancing, bells ringing.  You can’t help but notice the beaming faces of children that will be receiving a very special gift today.  They are so happy, so anxious and grateful.  I have tears well up in my eyes each day as I see these lovely, beautiful children.  I wanted to hug them all at once and let them know they are so truly loved!  Many photos were taken and many smiles were seen.  I met a special young boy today who was six years old.  He is going to be a teacher one day he informed our Rotation translator.  So eager to learn, so happy with the kit he received today.  He promised his mom he would not be opening his stationary kit until he was in school, as he did not want it to get dirty.


It was an amazing day, but it is not over yet.  We arrive at the Mayor of Amboli’s house for a traditional home cooked meal.  I felt honoured to be part of something special.  As we are about to  leave we look out over the horizon to see the sun beginning to set and feel an amazing accomplishment for today.  We have had the ability to change lives of many children today.  I can’t imagine how they would feel when they arrived home and recounted their memories of the day.  I am sure as they laid their head down on their new pillow and got cozy with their new blankets, the lovely dreams they would have of the day as they drifted off to sleep. Memories they would hold close to their hearts for many days, months and years to come.



I cannot put into words my experience thus far.  I am working with an amazing group of individuals who have hearts of gold, true angels really.    Would I want to experience this again… in one YES.  My life has been changed in so many wonderful ways.  I have been truly humbled with this experience.





Cheryl Warner  for Team Pune, India 2016
Post your comments here: