Friday 3 June 2016

Uganda: An Emotional Thank You!

Sleeping children teams interview parents of bedkit recipients, to get feedback on the items and to learn a little of how the family lives.  Today I spoke with a grandmother, Vida who is looking after her four grandchildren and her ailing mother.


When asked what she would say to the donor, Vida started to cry.  She said "It is a hard burden looking after my four grandchildren who I love dearly, and my mother.  I have no one at home to speak to, or to help me, other than God.  I pray every day for the strength to carry on.  Today my prayers have been answered.  My granddaughter will be able to sleep well on her mattress, with a bedsheet and blanket to keep her warm, and a net to protect her from mosquitoes.  My granddaughter (Adreen) loves to go to school, and the school supplies will help her.  I will pray that the donors will live a long and happy life, and that they will receive many blessings."


Vida then kneeled down and said a prayer, after which we shared a long, quiet hug.  It was a special, and an emotional time for everyone.  Vida and Adreen then waved goodbye, and grandmother and granddaughter set off carrying their bedkit on their 6 kilometre walk home.

Thank you donors for making this Sleeping Children trip possible.  Your gifts are truly making a difference in the lives of 5,000 beautiful Ugandan children.


Ted Swanston for Team Uganda 2016
Post your comments here: