Thursday 1 August 2013

Tanzania: What I Mean

Bottom line, my Swahili is no good.  I live in a suburb of Boston, Massachusetts in the United States.  My grasp of English is astounding, I can say what I mean and mean what I say.  I have no trouble getting my point across, whether I am speaking to my husband and children or to the plumber standing in my bathroom.  If I need to find mango chutney but don’t know the aisle at the supermarket, I have the words to ask the questions that lead me right to it, no problem.  But here in Tanzania, what I mean doesn’t always come across so well.  When we arrive at a new site and get out of the van, what I mean is, “Good morning!!  I am so blessed and excited to be here and see all of you.  I am thrilled that I am part of a team that can bring you a bedkit that will make life so much better for you and give you things that you otherwise could only dream of having, brand new and clean and all your own!”  What I say is “Stand up!”  Whoops, wrong Swahili word, try again quick before they start wandering away in confusion. “Habari ya hasaboi, good morning!” Yes, that is it, it’s not exactly all that I mean, but at least it is a polite greeting.  Time to get to work.  What I mean is “Oh, how wonderful, I love seeing you in your new clothes!  Please, line up here and stay in line to follow me right this way so we can arrange you to take your picture to send to the sponsors.  Those sponsors may be moved to tears to see you, you have been so blessed by their generosity.  Please show them how excited you are to receive this bedkit.  I can feel your excitement because I am here with you, I can rejoice with you.  Let’s work together to let this still picture share that excitement!”  What I say is, “Only one of you, follow me.”  They obey and I wonder why the whole line of children won’t come and then realize, yet again, wrong word, try again.  “All of you, follow me this way.  You, sit right here please and you, please stand over there.  Now, laugh!”  That is the best that my Swahili words can do.  I hope it is enough.  I hope that the joy on my face and the excitement in my eyes can convey the words that I just don’t have.  I hope that the love is passed on in my touch and in my smile.  I hope that the experience of having these visitors delivering a bedkit filled with things that all belong to you convey just how worthy you are, just how special you are and make you feel as blessed as I do to have been a part of your life for this very short time.


  
Jennifer Travis for Team Tanzania 2013
Post your comments here: