Thursday 21 November 2013

Nicaragua: First Distribution!!

Distribution One! My first day volunteering for Sleeping Children Around the World. I'm excited and nervous, hoping to do a good job and be useful and not mess up. As we roll down the rural roads in our van, I wonder what to expect when we arrive at our destination and soon enough, I know: throngs of children and their parents, waving green, red and blue balloons in the air as they shout out their greetings to us. Oh, my. I try to stay composed, but I am overwhelmed and inevitably the tears roll down my face.


We drive through the gate, into the compound and go to say "Hola" to some of the girls and boys, who are beautiful and sweet. Ranging in ages from six to twelve, each child is patiently waiting to receive their mattress, pillow, sheet, pillowcase, t-shirt and shorts, backpack, school supplies and mosquito net.


But now we have to get to work. It's my job to line up the kids for their photos. What a pleasure to meet them and have fun with them!    One adorable little girl crosses her arms over her chest when she is about to be handed a bedkit, because even now she cannot believe that she is getting this precious gift. The day falls into a pattern and everything goes smoothly, even when I send one little "nino" for his photo wearing his old shirt and not the one he has received from SCAW. But that is quickly fixed.

At one point in the afternoon I watch my dear friend Judy taking the photos of the children and it sinks in that she is doing the work her father began all those years ago in 1970. It is amazing to have the opportunity to see her carrying on this work.

And now we're done. All of the photos have been taken and it is time to pack up and go back to our hotel. I wonder how today's four hundred children are doing with their new bedkits.

Team Nicaragua 2013