Monday 13 July 2009

Spiti Valley: Almost Done


We're not done yet. Yesterday we did 79 bedkit photos, and this morning we did 181 more. There are 120 to go.

Luckily we have help from other volunteers who also work at Munsel-Ling School as shown by the photo. You can also see one of the beds we are supplying to the school. Several students from University of British Columbia, some of the school staff, and some teachers from Sweden helped us out. This morning there was a school assembly and then we took photos. Now we are waiting for the last students to arrive. Because the Dalai Lama is doing teachings in various areas near here, many parents are taking their children to the teachings and they are not in school. Because we are hoping to start heading for home tomorrow (Tuesday) we hope all works out and we can complete the distribution this evening when the last of the students return. Meanwhile, all the beds are being made in the dorms so when the children arrive after school they will have new beds to sleep peacefully.

As on all Sleeping Children distributions we have to learn to be flexible and change our plans to suit the situations. Murray also had to do that during his last day of distributions in the Himalayas in 1981. Here's what Murray wrote:
On this particular morning, January 24th, I pulled myself out of the sleeping bag at 05:15 and, on exiting, I tripped over one of the tent stakes, causing me to pitch head-first over a ten-foot parapet stone wall in the total dark! My glasses flew off, also my watch, and I picked myself up out of a field of rape in flower, a field that was also littered with large stones. One shoe and the flashlight had left me as I plunged, but my spectacles and watch were OK and I could not believe that I had only a barked knee and arm.

The group had slept through it all. As there was no way I could find my way to the upper level, I had to call the guides. They too could not believe that I was not injured. And to think it happened seventeen trekking hours from any kind of road where help might be found.
The following morning Murray and his team distributed 100 bedkits before it began to rain. They had to deliver the remaining 150 inside to complete their 1000 bedkit distribution.

We will check back with you tomorrow and let you know how we did.

The Spiti Valley Three

Leave comments here.