Monday 6 July 2009

Spiti Valley: Manali Rest Stop


We have not yet reached the Spiti Valley but are staying in Manali to acclimatize our bodies to the higher altitudes in the Himalayas. From our bedroom windows we can see one more range of mountains we have to pass over. We are staying in a guest house run by a wonderful family. When Murray Dryden went on his Himalaya trip he had less luxurious quarters.

From his writings:
A fine red nylon tent was set up; it was to be my home for nine nights. The cook promised me a feast and, indeed, I was ready for it. After that last leg up "Heartbreak Mountain" my 07:30 continental breakfast had long gone. When my feast arrived, the rice was cold but I ate it. However, the bits and pieces purported to be chicken were laced with spices so I had to pass them on to one of the porters. I did enjoy the bowl of soup with chopped onion tops though, and canned pineapple slices, the juice of which I had sipped from the punctured tin at the last rest stop. As to the food the rest of the way, it was grim.
We should probably feel guilty (since we are doing this trip in memory of Murray's visit to the Himalayas) but our supper tonight is to be fresh trout, baked potatoes, and vegetables followed by plum or peach pie (in season).

The Spiti Valley Three

Leave comments here.