Saturday 20 July 2019

Tanzania: A Tanzania Classroom!

What does a Tanzanian classroom look like? 

Being a teacher myself in Canada, I was interested in learning about this. I figured this was a simple enough question but soon learned the answer is not. 


After visiting 7 different school sites, I soon came to realize that there is no "typical classroom."  The learning can be in a class with desks and chairs.... like Canada, or it can take place in a classroom sitting on the floor as there are very few desks. 



In some schools, there aren't enough classrooms, so they teaching takes place outside!


The biggest surprise to me about the Tanzanian classroom is the number of students. Chatting with the teachers, I was told that some classes have over 50 students! I was shocked until other teachers told me of 100+ students in one room. I started to think that this might be a language problem - a miscommunication - until I saw a class with 200 students.... not just one classroom but an entire school with every classroom filled with wall to wall students. 





God bless these teachers!!!!!

Allison M. for

Team Tanzania 2019
Post your comments here: