Saturday 31 January 2009

Chennai: 310 bedkits in Avadi

Kristein and new friend.
From Chennai Photo Album 2009
I have looked forward to a distribution in India since I was young and listened to my grandmother's stories of her trip to India with SCAW. She was a part of the first distribution in 1981 with Rtn. V.R. Janardhanam.

I was lucky enough today to walk in my grandma's shoes and distribute bedkits with this very same man. 81 years old now, he was the man responsible for bringing SCAW to Chennai and still remembered my grandmother, Fletch Manning.

India has been very gracious to us since our arrival. The Avadi school prepared us a traditional breakfast consisting of Idli, Pongal, Vada, Red Chili Chutney, Green Chili Chutney, coconut Chutney, Sambhar and Mollaga Poole. This was delicious. They also provided us with 310 beautiful children and a group of senior high boys to help. What a great day!

I believe that nothing should be prized more than the value of a day!

Kristein Johnson
for Team Chennai 2009


Leave your comments here