Friday 12 February 2010

Mumbai: Domivali

We have just returned from Domivali where we distributed 370 bedkits. Today is the national holiday in honour of Lord Shiva, so the traffic was less hectic.

There were ten Rotary clubs responsible for selecting the children and arranging for this distribution. It was held in a park-like setting where the main Rotary club meets each week.
Since this was a holiday, many parents were able to come and watch and the beautiful colour of the saris added to the peaceful setting.

After the children had had their pictures taken, they were to come to me to receive their bedkit and have a "smiley face" marked on the thumb of their right hand. This was to make sure each child received only one bedkit.

Often they weren't sure where to go next and so I waved to them and all at once, I would have several running towards me with excited faces. Some were in barefeet, some in flip flops, and some in shoes too big as they had borrowed them or worn their parent's shoes.

As I held each hand to make the "smiley face," I noticed one little boy with two thumbs and four fingers and another one with only two fingers on his hand. As I handed them their bedkit, I tried to make eye contact with each child and often saw a bewildered look turn to a happy smile as they finally understood that the big white bag was theirs to take home.

I always said "This gift is from Canada, with love," as I gave them the bedkit. Most of them had learned to say "Thank you" in English or would shake my hand, or give me the biggest, widest smile ever.

As I saw the parents and children leave carrying their bedkits, I waved and they waved back. I wish all you donors could have seen the waves and smiles and felt what I did. I think they all had just experienced a day they will remember that someone in Canada loves them.

Joyce Poth
for Team Mumbai 2010


Post your comments here