Tuesday 9 February 2010

Chennai: T. Nagar

From Chennai Photos 2010
Monday, February 8, 2010

Sarada Vidyalaya Girls’ Higher Secondary School

Today was another exciting and successful distribution. We were able to sleep in till 7 AM this morning and have time for coffee and breakfast since the location was not very far from our hotel.

We were in the bus at 8 AM and on our way to our location, which was a high school for girls. The children were mostly bused in and some were close enough to walk. There were not the usual crowds of waiting parents since most of the children had arrived by bus with their teachers.
Today’s distribution provided 774 children with bedkits. Many, many children will be able to sleep more comfortably tonight.

We were ably assisted by hordes of high school students. The young women were pleasant and friendly and very good with the children. They were especially helpful with the little ones who were hesitant and anxious about the whole process.

From Chennai Photos 2010
I did the best job of all today: handing out the bedkits. It was wonderful to be able to welcome every child and look into their beautiful eyes as they received their bedkits. I noticed several children today who were mentally-challenged, several who were deaf and two little girls with Down’s Syndrome. I also noticed quite a few children whose physical size was quite small for their age.

Many of the older children had learned a few English words. When asked, “How are you?” they clearly responded, “I am fine.” They were also able to respond to “What is your name?” The high school girls translated for me when a child did not understand.

After the long line of children had made it through and received their bedkits I was able to take a photo of a large group of children sitting outside the distribution area with their teachers waiting for their bus. I asked them to hold up some special signs for me to thank my friends at home. They thought I wanted their autograph so the papers were passed around the group and I now have the autographs of some very special children. I also got the picture I wanted though. They all love having their pictures taken.

From Chennai Photos 2010
After the distribution we were entertained by some of the high school girls with special cultural dances and singing. We were honoured that they had prepared this for us.

Although tired, dusty, and dirty, the whole team headed back to the hotel uplifted by the many children who had brightened our day.

Jan Gayman
for Team Chennai 2010


Leave your comments here.