Saturday 13 February 2010

Mumbai: More moving moments

Distribution Day 6

Once again with the help of our Canadian donors we have made another group of children very happy today!! We started out this morning in the gymnasium of our hotel with a smaller group of 150 children, some of whom were deaf and blind.

My job today was getting the children all lined up and checked for their picture! Faith and I were setting them up for their picture and they were all smiles right from the start of their arrival. They were so very excited and so well-behaved. I have been so impressed all week by how these children are so well-behaved and very patient at waiting for their turn throughout the process from arriving, to dressing in their new clothes, to waiting for their picture to be taken, to the final receiving of their gift from Canada!!

We were then off to the next site: Andheri. We arrived to 225 smiling faces and another eager group of Rotarians ready to help us out. They had all the kids well-organized and ready to go!

I had three young boys that were next to go for their pictures and as they were walking up to me they were all smiles and asked me for my autograph! I laughed and they were so serious pointing at their hands and repeating, "Autograph. Autograph."

And I thought, "I can't disappoint them," so I signed their hands!! LOL!! It brings a smile to my face just thinking of their innocent faces staring up at me smiling away after I signed their hand!!

Parents, Children, and the Rotarians can not thank us enough for helping them out. It is truly an amazing feeling!

Julie Merkley
Mumbai Team 2010


Post your comments here